Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Today is Monday, September 10th, and I am currently watching the Ravens game with the owner of the Bed & Breakfast where we are staying. I left Cumberland today at about 9:50 am, and I reached Hancock, MD at exactly 4 pm. I ended up biking 62.5 hard miles. The C&O Canal is a more difficult path to ride than the Allegheny Passage. The path is made of loose stone and isn't compacted like the Allegheny Passage. In addition, the path has some tree debris scattered here and there, and you have to be careful. I discovered that the squirrels have a rust color, as though they rusted from the inside to the out. They are actually quite beautiful, with rust colored fluffy tails. I felt like they were playing "head games" with me, as it seemed like they were playing the game "chicken". As I biked towards them, they would stand up on their hind legs, look directly at me, and then as I swerved at the last second to avoid hitting them, they didn't move but looked at me with a "smirk" on their face! 
The C&O Canal path has some beautiful scenery. I felt at times as though I was going back in time. I could visualize possible battles of the Revolutionary War or the Civil War. I could also imagine barges being pulled up the canal by horses, and possibly slaves manning the process. At times, the canal took on a feeling of the deep south, with huge trees providing a shady canopy.
The canal path from Cumberland to Hancock was quite isolated, without any "trail towns" or cell phone service. It wasn't well traveled, so you are completely on your own if something happens, which I found exciting.
Sonia and I had dinner at "Bill's", which was a combination of a motorcycle biker bar and fisherman/hunter hang-out. There were 6 older men playing poker and drinking beer, while at the same time, breathing from oxygen tanks. These gentlemen were real characters, but seemed to be taking their poker game pretty seriously. We actually had a great dinner, enjoying good conversation with bikers I had met on the trail.
The Ravens game is finally over with a big win. GO RAVENS!
Rick

No comments:

Post a Comment